Getting Started – For Instructors
Step 1 - Fill Out the Account Information Form
If you are ready to begin using Collabra with your students, please take a moment to fill out the form below and let us know. Once your information has been received, we will confirm that your account and billing is setup to your specifications.
Step 2 - Review the Technology Requirements
To ensure Collabra works properly for you, take a moment to review our technology requirements.
1. Use Collabra on your computer, not a mobile device.
See the Review Collabra for Mobile Information section below to read about a mobile workaround for instructors needing to use their phone to record lessons, and learn about the specifications for students using their mobile devices.
2. Install Google Chrome Browser
When accessing Collabra on a desktop or laptop, be sure to use the Google Chrome web browser. You can download the Google Chrome web browser for desktop by visiting the following link: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html.
For help with the installation, visit Google’s help page.
3. Review Collabra for Mobile Information
Currently, there is no mobile app available for instructor accounts. However, there are both Android and iOS apps available for students. Learn about the mobile workaround for instructors, as well as mobile requirements for students below.
Mobile Workaround for Instructors
There is a workaround that allows Instructors to record lessons (as practices) via a mobile student account, then assign it to students from their instructor account. See this tutorial for instructions on performing this task.
Collabra for iOS (student accounts only)
The Collabra iOS app is available for iPhone 4 and up and iPad 2 and up running iOS version 7 or higher. Students can download the iOS app by visiting the following link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/collabra-music/id906121082?mt=8.
Collabra for Android (student accounts only)
The Android app is available for Android devices running Android OS version 4.1 or higher. It is important to note that the Android app only allows audio recordings (not video recordings). Students can download the Android app by visiting the following link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.collabramusic.collabra&hl=en.
On newer Android devices running Android OS version 5.0 or higher, students CAN record audio and video footage by bypassing the app, and directly accessing the Collabra website. Students can do this by signing into their student account at www.collabramusic.com via the Google Chrome for Android mobile browser.*
*NOTE: We suggest that students try recording a quick practice to ensure that everything works properly on their device.
Step 3 - Create Courses & Groups
If you’ve gone through a personal Collabra Orientation, you may already be familiar with this process. If you want a reminder, review the information below. If you want to go ahead and invite your students, skip to Step 4.What are Courses & Groups?
Before inviting your students to sign up for their student account, you must create a Course. This will generate a Course Code. A Course Code is a series of numbers and letters -example: 4609nacd – which you will share with your students. When students sign up, they will enter the Course Code you provide, which will automatically affiliate them with the appropriate Course.
In Collabra, a COURSE is a way of organizing students in order to share lessons and assessments with multiple students at once. You can create as many courses as you need.
Within a course, you can create GROUPS, or subsections of the COURSE. For example, if the Course is “Applied Voice 101”, you may want to Group students within that Course according to their voice type (Soprano, Alto, Tenor Bass). Then, you could easily share, for instance, a practice video for the Bass Group with the click of a button.
If you are an instructor teaching multiple classes at different schools, you might create a Course identifying the School Name and Groups for each class / period you teach at that school.
VIDEO TUTORIAL – CREATING COURSES & GROUPS
The video tutorial below explains the process of creating Courses and Groups. Written instructions are also included below the video.
WRITTEN TUTORIAL – CREATING COURSES & GROUPS
- Click on this link (www.collabramusic.com) to open Collabra in a new window. Then click on “Log In “in the upper right corner to log into your instructor account.
- By default, you will land on your instructor control panel with sections labeled STUDENTS, LESSONS, ACTIVITY.
- In the STUDENTS column, you may see a Sample Course already created in your account.
- *If you went through Collabra Orientation, you may have deleted this Sample Course already. If you didn’t go through Orientation, but would like one, please click here to send a request.
- In your Sample Course, you will see “Ron Sample Student” as well as your own name listed as a student there.
- Every Instructor account comes with a built-in student account, so you can practice performing different functions from both the instructor and student perspectives.
- Click on the “Create Course” button in the left column.
- Enter the name of the course and click on the “Add Course” button. The new course appears below.
- After creating your new Course, drag and drop Ron Sample Student’s name, as well as your own name into your new Course.
- After removing the student names from the Test Course, you can delete the Test Course by clicking Delete Course.
- You also have the ability to Delete Students. We suggest you keep Ron Sample Student in your new Course temporarily for experimentation purposes. But you can delete later it at any time by dragging it to the trashcan icon.
- To add a Group, click on the “New Group” button under the Course Name.
- You can re-order the Groups by dragging and dropping.
- As students sign up for their accounts and their names automatically appear in the Course, you can drag and drop their names into the preferred Group. Try moving dragging and dropping Ron Sample Student & your own name into different Courses or Groups after you create them.
Step 4 - Invite Your Students
INVITING YOUR STUDENTS
- By now you’ve already Created a Course. If you haven’t, go back to Step 3.
- Copy the Course Code (located under the Course Title, example = bknjbkg4a8k7k) and send it to your students. They will need this to sign up for their student account.
- Along with the Course Code, we recommend sending your students the Getting Started Link: https://support.collabramusic.com//getting-started-students/ We’ve provided a pre-written welcome letter which you can use to invite your students, or you may create your own. (CLICK HERE TO OPEN COPY-AND-PASTEABLE LETTER IN SEPARATE WINDOW.)
- Once a student signs up using the Course Code you provided, their name will appear automatically below the course name, along with your name and Ron Sample Student.
- If you need to move a student to a different Course or Group, you can do so by dragging and dropping.
Step 5 - Get Involved
Join Our Facebook Group
Join our Facebook forum by visiting https://www.facebook.com/groups/collabramusic/ and clicking the JOIN button. This is a great way to stay in touch with other instructors, have questions answered, and stay up to date on the latest news from Collabra.
Unable to display Facebook posts.
Please refer to our Error Message Reference.